- Do you want to introduce trainings and through it e-learning in your organization?
- Do you want to categorize your training materials and students in a transparent way, depending on who needs what training?
- Are examinations or questionnaire surveys an issue, or at least mean a lot of manual work for you?
- Are you in need of a platform where you are free to share any file with students?
- Is it important that you provide authentic certificates for the courses students complete?
If your answer to any one of the above questions is yes, you may want to consider implementing Moodle and using it as your e-learning platform.
WHAT IS MOODLE?
Moodle is a framework specifically supporting digital education and learning (LMS, Learning Management System), which
covers the adjustment options of all the methodological approaches of education.
That is, it can support all digital formats of traditional education, from file sharing between the instructor and the student, through group work to automatic scoring of tests.
Do you feel you need more than that? For example, do you want to organize trainings automatically? Would you like to map the corporate hierarchy in the system? Maybe you want to easily create unique, detailed reports? Click here to see an enhanced version of Moodle designed specifically for large companies, TOTARA!
With its “tried and tested” logical structure, pedagogical tools, and basic training management features, Moodle can provide a stable platform for up to thousands of students and trainers, while also offering many ways to organize trainings.
Are you interested in Moodle? Contact us and we will answer any question you may have!
CONTENT SHARING IN THE MOODLE E-LEARNING SYSTEM
In the following, we will introduce you to the most important elements of the MOODLE feature set, focusing on 5 main areas.
The first of these is content sharing, through which the trainer can make training material of any format available to students. The following can be made available in one click, among other things:
- written material in PPT, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, DOC, DOCX, PDF format
- images with any extension
- embedded video materials
- external references
- a “Lesson” module created with Moodle’s own e-learning authoring interface
- unique e-learning training material developed by us, compliant with SCORM standards
- built-in glossary
- information or instructions displayed on the interface between shared content
Of course, in addition to the above features, any other content sharing option can be implemented with custom Moodle enhancements.
INDIVIDUAL AND GROUP WORK
An important part of learning is practice, either individually or in groups. Moodle can also provide learners with a content sharing interface (under the supervision of the instructor) through which e.g. they can upload a task to be submitted, or the instructor can score uploaded tasks and provide feedback online through the same interface. Students can also be organized into groups within the system, so e.g. it is enough for only one member of the group to upload a file and everyone receives the given score for the task. There is even a possibility for assessment between the learners – in which case the students evaluate each other’s work, thus relieving the instructor.
OPTIONS FOR MOODLE LMS KNOWLEDGE ASSESSMENT AND EXAMINATION
Perhaps one of the most difficult parts for tutors is assessing exams, at least in the case of a large number of students.
Moodle can fully take on the burden of creating exam conditions and evaluating closed-ended questions.
Moreover, through its detailed setting options, it can support a number of pedagogical approaches, from completely free practice preparation to mildly rigorous test completions to accreditation-level examinations. The test module is one of the features with the most Moodle customization options. Among other things, we have the opportunity to:
- organize, categorize, and mass-load questions into question banks,
- create closed-ended questions of the multiple-choice, embedded cloze, pairing, and sorting types,
- create free-text open-ended essay questions,
- generate tests at random (automatically select questions from question banks with a large number of questions, change their order, and change the order of answer options),
- weighted scoring,
- set a test completion time limit, limit the number of attempts,
- sophisticate the feedback related to test completion (when and what information the student should receive),
- restrict access to tests by date and time.
Since learning takes place in Moodle online, it is necessary to somehow make up for communication with a personal presence. This can also be done in the system, we have a traditional message board, a chat, a system-wide messaging and blog function – and users can also be notified of any activity within these by email.
If we look at Moodle as a kind of digital school, the course can be called a digital classroom – it is a group of students and tutors who are related in any way (thematic, temporal) and who need access to the same content. Course management is the process of creating these courses in Moodle, assigning (enrolling) students and instructors, then uploading content, and finally making it available. For these purposes, it is possible in the system, among other things, to:
- manage user permissions (student / teacher / manager / portal administrator),
- hide or reveal certain content from students at any time,
- make learning success conditional on achievement criteria and then monitor progress,
- restrict access to certain content based on whether students have completed other activities, e.g. an exam is only available if the learning material has been completed by the student.
By customizing the course management functions in Moodle, almost any idea can be implemented flexibly.
OTHER USEFUL FEATURES
Moodle is a very versatile system with many parameterization options and features. We’ve collected some that might be of interest to you in addition to the above:
- Questionnaire module – for preliminary knowledge assessment, subsequent satisfaction measurement, or any other feedback, with customizable questions and the option of filling it out anonymously.
- Interactive, gamified tasks – thanks to the so-called H5P module, we can integrate motivational and stimulating elements into the learning process in many ways.
- Certificate – A diploma can be downloaded from Moodle if the student has fulfilled all the necessary prerequisites for the course.
- Face to face event administration – if the training includes events with compulsory attendance on which we keep an attendance record, we can also record it in the system, so there is no need to keep the data on paper.
- Localization – the Moodle interface has already been translated into many languages centrally, we can install and even customize these language packs.
- Home page – We also have two types of home pages, depending on whether you want to share general information with the students, or want to support browsing between courses, or want them to see the courses that need to be taken on a dashboard.
- Data connection with other systems – Moodle can be connected to other systems, e.g. in order to keep user data up to date from a central database in Moodle as well. (This may require custom Moodle development depending on the host system.)
WHAT IT INFRASTRUCTURE DO YOU NEED TO OPERATE MOODLE?
Because Moodle is a completely online application, all you need from a client side is a modern and up-to-date browser. Thus, students, tutors, training organizers and administrators do not have to perform virtually any pre-installation – in fact, they can even access the system from a mobile phone. In addition, a mobile application can be downloaded, through which the system can be used with a completely mobile-optimized version.
From a server side, Moodle can be run flexibly on both Linux (recommended) and Windows operating systems. Regarding the database, MySQL is recommended officially, but others can be used (e.g. MariaDB, PostgreSQL, MSSQL). The application is written in PHP, and its code is constantly updated. The system typically has a monthly minor update, while new feature-enhanced major version changes are published annually by the central Moodle.
HOW IS MOODLE INSTALLED AND INTRODUCED?
Moodle is an open source system, so there is no license fee for its use or operation. The following steps are required/recommended to use the system:
- Server and server environment creation: this can be done by You, but we can also help.
- System implementation: we perform installation, configuration and customization tasks on the system tailored to your organization. As part of this, we help to develop the processes and initiate the first trainings.
- Monthly support: within the framework of this, our experts ensure continuous availability in connection with the smooth operation and maintenance of the system.
Our company has more than 10 years of experience and the relevant competencies to complete a full Moodle implementation and complete any custom Moodle development. In each case, we adjust our prices individually to the needs of our Customers.
Or meet us here and let’s discuss the details of Your MOODLE introduction!